This movie directed by Farah Khan may just have made a record of casting the largest number of Bollywood heroes, heroines and character actors including actors from yester years, theatre, Hindi and Marathi serials. The movie is a 100% unadulterated bollywood masala flick and with it Farah has come of age and taken over the mantle from David Dhawan, the king of mindless time pass entertainers.
It starts with credits to an unending list of actors’ actresses and brands.The movie revolves around SRK who doubles up as the junior artist Om Prakash Makheeja and in second life the darde disco 6 pack hero OK, Deepika doubling up as Shanti Priya , Super Estar love interest and later the chewing gum eating model, Bindu as as herself and the typical heroine’s mother. His overacting ex – film extra mom played by Kiron Kher, his buddy Pappu, played by Shreyas Talpade and lastly the villain played by Arjun Rampal as Mukesh Mehra the director.
The film is a a typical copy paste bhelpuri loosely based on the movie Karz and Trishul, and has the much abused theme of greed, rebirth and retribution along with a wholesome dose of on purpose overacting by all except the very pretty Deepika Paukone, and SRK (to whom it comes naturally). Of cource she has plagiarized bollywood names, situations n scenes from various movies and even you tube.
It starts with the song om shanti om from the reincarnation movie Karz, then goes on to the famous fire scene from Mother India resulting in friendship and one sided love, a few funny scenes including SRK as b grade south film hero Quick gun Murugan– Mind it ! Then comes the sudden villainous twist, showing the dirty truth of her being pregnant and secretly married with the villain Arjun being revealed to SRK, and his plans to wed a rich financiers daughter, resulting in sets being burnt in a fire resulting in their deaths. Reborn SRK is Ok or Om Kapoor, the new age ok hero, son of a super hero Rajesh Kapoor (parody of R Khanna). He is a man who mysteriously fears fire, suddenly lands up at the old burnt out set and getting a flashback resulting in him attempting to improve his acting skills and seeking to take revenge on the Nri return Mike Mehra. The detailed plot here.
What u get to see:
1. On and off screen Bollywood parody with lots of overacting, melodrama and typical dialogues with a rather cliche story.
2. Costume parade featuring the 70s/80s look – hairstyles buns and costumes et all and the new mod look of the new millennium.
3. The very pretty Deepika Padukone who (along with Isha Koppikar has ushered in the new wave of saraswat heroines) has acted really well in her first film.
4. Skinny SRK topless for the fairer sex and lots of cleavage for the male audience.
5. Goof up scenes like Deepika who, in the studio burning death scene is seen without a chandelier earring comes back as the ghost who avenges her own death with both earrings intact! Plus both kiron and deepika showing SRK the finger.
So if u really rs into tp flicks, go see the movie but if u really want to enjoy it make sure see it with a bunch of friends. my rating ** of 5