Nita has done a lot of hard work on her post which is a must read, and railways being one of my fav areas of criticism as i started writing a comment it stretched so long that i decided its makes sense to convert it into a post instead. First the Proposals
Budget estimates 2008-09
- Freight loading target: 850 million tones.
- Revenues in Freight earnings to be Rs.52,700 cr; Passenger earnings to be Rs.21,681 cr.
- Gross Traffic Receipts to be Rs.81,901 cr – an increase of 12.6 per cent over RE.
- Cash surplus before Dividend to be Rs.24,783 cr after making an ad-hoc provision of nearly Rs.5000 cr for anticipated recommendations of the VI Central Pay Commission.
Annual Plan 2008-09
- The Annual Plan of Rs.37,500 cr is the largest ever Annual Plan so far.
- New Lines – Rs.1,730 cr, Gauge conversion – Rs.2,489 cr, Electrification – Rs.626 cr, Metropolitan Transport Projects – Rs.650 cr.
- Track renewal – Rs.3,600 cr, Bridges – Rs. 600 cr, Signal & Telecommunication works -Rs.1,520 cr, Road over/under bridges – Rs. 700 cr and manning of unmanned level crossings – Rs.600 cr.
- Passenger amenities – Rs. 852 cr, the highest so far.
- Targets : New Lines – 350 kms, Gauge conversion – 2,150 kms, Doubling – 1000 kms.
read the article- Highlights of Railway Budget 2008-09 in Rediff
My take -More stress on the Rails – Higher depreciation of the rails due to overloading of Freight traffic – Higher cost in Future not provided for – as nita rightly pointed out.
So many new trains, facilities n services ….So will he play the renaming game?
Wow wonderful Dreams nonetheless – Show me the money for all that
It took 8+ yrs to introduce 2 new test trains under MRVC inc. on July 12, 1999, with an equity capital of Rs 25 crores to implement the rail component of an integrated rail-cum-road urban transport project, called Mumbai Urban Transport Project (MUTP). Plus Mutp II is almost self funded and the centre contributes a pittiance , as most of the moolah will come from State govt and sale of Rail land at Bandra-Kurla and a sizable part of it will go towards resettlement costs for illegal /legalised squatters.
pic of new trains from the wiki
Nitish k had outlayed a lot for safety and track overhaling – there is nothin ive seen in this budget except Track renewal – Rs.3,600 cr…that puts hard cash into Safety – Just lots of announcements. On passanger safety read this.
Making announcements is great – implementing is the difficult bit plus there is the little genie called inflation and Pay commission, that eats away resources.. Another issue is resettlement of project affected persons – which can be prohibitively expensive at least in Mumbai.
If the rail mantris Secretary says we will leverage our assets and cash surplus of 25000 crores – who will lend to a loss making revenue model remember even the best implemented project The konkan rail runs at loss – the Delhi metro accumulates a rail subsidy of Rs 35,000 per passenger per year and kolkata underground is no better-1. RMohan 2. rediff
Well the Japanese, the rebate wagon of sec 80c and sovereign guarantee might aid him.
On First Class fare cuts and off peak discounts – That is a necessity if railways want to compete with the discount airlines which are expecting a cut in ATF duty.
Improvements in ticketing
- Termination of queues at ticket counters targeted in two years
- Increase in Unreserved Ticketing Systems counters to 15,000
- E-ticket for wait listed passengers.
Whats new here – the ticket counters are never open when they are supposed to as written on each counter – anything goes and there are never more than 2 out of 5 counters open and this is in Mumbai other places it should be far worse
E-ticket is old (book online and take an instant print) (RS10/20+)-
Iticket (booked ticket is delivered by courier) is older and more expensive (RS40/60+)- and just allowing E-ticket for waitlisted passengers means more revenue for rail mantralaya.
If ur brave enough u can use the mobile booking facility too which is nothing but a new name for iticket via gprs.
300 additional services in Mumbai suburban. ?????? nothing clarified.
*ATVMs to 6000. It is 3 mths old lets see how long before they are vandalised.
*CST to be upgraded to world class station
*Proposal for CST to have multi-level car parking, lifts, escalators
Lets see if it is done until metro adlabs (which has a car ramp) celebrates is 5 yrs in existance post renovation, cst being a heritage bldg constructing and resettlement would pose problems
*Mumbai-Amravati Express to be introduced
*Mumbai-Bhubaneshwar Express to be introduced
*Mumbai-Jabalpur Garib Rath to be introduced
how will this affect decongesting mumbai suburban?
*Go Mumbai Card to be sold across BEST depots
is it a dig at Thackarey?? i havent seen any plastic cards around..
All in all i agree with Nita – its a Shining budger – but all that glitters aint gold and im not alone Even a porter, who has dealt with the railways for a long time thinks so, when he says
“Ministers make many promises, but keep very few. This is a purely populist measure aimed at earning votes,” said an elderly porter, Ahmed Rahim Chaudhary. He pointed to a scheme of providing Rs 1 lakh to a dead porter’s family, which apparently never took off.