I thought our politicians were idiots but hey, the American politicians are one up on our bunch of jokers.
Of late, it has become a fashion to blame India, while conveniently forgetting so many other factors for the world food commodity price rise..
What are the American politicians really up to ? Now he is a person who cant say Nuclear right, has in his hands, the largest arsenal, a person who has openly been ridiculed on you tube and is proud of being .. how shall i put it – plain dumb?
First of all the American economy survives on foreign debt, and because it is the its dollar that has substituted the Gold Standard as a reserve currency, that the Americans have been spending more than what they can earn for the better part of the last decade.
Why do they forget
1. That the American Population which is Smaller than the Indian Middle class, still consumes more resources including Food* , Oil for their SUV and Humvee, than the same Indian middle class or the entire Indian Population per capita, they so conveniently blame.
* Total food grain consumption — wheat, rice, and all coarse grains like rye, barley etc — by each person in the US is over five times that of an Indian, according to figures released by the US Department of Agriculture for 2007. TOI
2. That they fought a war in Iraq knowing fully well the effect of such an event on world oil prices. Did Halliburton matter more than the well being of common American ?
3. How much the value of the dollar has fallen and how it affects inflation and commodity prices including Oil, Gold and Food .
4. How have the Fed and the Treasury Sec have allowed the dollar to stay weak causing Oil based inflation leading to higher food and oil prices to protect the dirty underbelly of wall street and debt insurance firms from going bust ?
5. That the big nations have been subsidizing their big farms and dairys with massive subsides, eg. EU subsidy bill is a whopping $41 billion, keeping prices of food and edibles low, leading to poor investment in agriculture in developing countries (i also partially blame local politicians for their short term vision and ad-hoc measures) Worse what about the droughts and the El Niño effect?
6. What about the Bio movement and the shift to natural fertilizer from chemical fertilizer ? What about the shift to biofuels (Petrol/Gas substitutes) like Ethanol based on corn and molasses and the subsidy the bush govt offers big Us farmers, leading to corn shortage and increasing cost of tortia chips in Mexico.
7. What about China, its Olympics style Consumption and its burgeoning middle class ? Do they not affect consumption ?
8. Lastly, Its they who fund and take support from Evangelical Christian Right wing groups that are anti choice or birth control leading to a huge population growth in poor christian countries like the Philippines.
The lslamic countries are no different, they seek every opportunity to take their citizens into the stone age take some of our neighbors for example.
So isn’t it high time that the Developed world focussed more on conservation than consumption?
In hindsight, after more reading and introspecting, i am loosing trust in the TOI network, as a balanced newspaper as this was a post based on their article.
Though this was a passing comment on the general food price rise, at an interactive session on economy in Missouri, the timing and way it was presented add to it an over zealously yellow coverage by the local press has resulted in a virtual Bush bashing mela here.
All in all WP has a good page on the ongoing crises at the state some responsible African people are in is simply heartbreaking .