In the good old times one bought a Sumeet mixer grinder and that was about it.
Now there are so many products and so much competition that one is left confused about which one to choose from a massive range of products.
So how do u choose a mixer grinder?
The best option is to ask a good cook amongst your relatives or by asking your local kitchen appliance repairer. Finally when it comes down to it u don’t know a product until you check it, use it, and get comfortable with it .
Ergonomics and Design
There are many factors that go into the decision of buying a mixer.
In a city like Mumbai where a sq foot costs 6000+ a small sleek model is mighty handy and space saving. But watch out for a badly designed mixer that is unstable and dissipates heat improperly tending to overheat and trip quickly.
Price and Quality.
This is a big tradeoff , so find a good mixer which is available at a good price
Check out the safety aspects like earthing and cutout or overload protector and also built quality of body, blades and jars and see how things fit, if the jars are well balanced and not wobbly etc before you buy a mixer.
Branding and Service Standard:
I don’t believe much in brands, because most often than not brands let you down in terms of service and spares over the long term, especially if they are non standard .. Yes brands do matter but what matters most is a proper study of the product.
Technical Specifications :
The heart of a Mixer is its motor . Check the
1. Wattage : Power consumed by motor 350/400/500 /550 /600 /750 watts is normal wattage range for mixers.
2. RPM : 12000-18000 Speed : Rounds/ Revolutions per minute :
3. Rating: in minutes : Is the recommended continuous operation time of a mixer grinder. Expect it to be 30 minutes on 5 min on 3 minute rest.
Higher the wattage more powerful the motor, and slightly more speed or rpm and more quantity processed per batch , but remember, heat and noise increase with increase of wattage. Speed, heat and operating time are a tradeoff you must consider. The higher the speed, higher the heat and rpm. But this decreases motor life overall most often than not. Also remember most mixers have a 30 minute rating ie generally 5 minutes on and 3 minutes cooloff … so dont run the mixer continuously without resting the motor..
I recommend a 550 W for home use . To make urad dal batter or tough grinds in bigger batches u need a 600 to 750 W mixer. If u need to do 2 litres at one time buy a commercial mixer above 1000 w
4. Safety : Proper Earthing and Cutout are a must.
5. Standardization of parts: Mixers offering unique jars or are non standard become a headache if one cannot procure spare parts in long term.
6. Quality/Design of Body and Parts: Check the built quality of the mixer and choose the design that suits ur kitchen. A bad quality body which cannot support the motor will soon depreciate . The classic mexican or L shape design is stable , but i prefer the slim tower design as it is less hassle to clean and store. I prefer a sleek design with bottom cordwinder , cleaning a side cordwinder is a mess.
My Recommendations :Caution Check products before purchasing because quality is something that keeps changing. i cannot assure that!
Butterfly Mixers : Well built mixers with great jars. Recommend Ivory Plus, Rhino. Ivory has the best fixed blade mid size jar i have used.
Rico-MG-series : Very Compact , all steel and high speed 650 wt motor.
Roksham Avatar : Good design local mumbai company, similar to sumeet
Boss Excel : Compact , all steel and 600 wt motor.
Oster Mixers : Good design Well built Mexican import
Anjali MG 3009 or Anjali Regular : Classic design/ good built
Premier : This is one of South India’s quality products
Inalsa Food processors : Best of Food processors / Mixer with 2 yr warranty.
Jaipan: The cheapest mass market products that work.
Sumeet : A feud in Mathur family killed the brand but new off shoots have made a late and not very successful comeback 1 by Ajay Mathur 2. Madhuri Mathur 3. S appliances Beware last of the lot SP Sumeet mixers are so so and not very good.
For more commercial or heavy duty mixers for large workload
Lords /Anjalimix/Jaipan etc hotel mixers which are rated above 1000 w
2. Inalsa Food processor
3 Phillips food processor
Also check out Hand Blender : Indian buyers guide